The walking stick
1. Honestly speaking, I relate more to LaVeyan Satanism more than other religion. The idea is the rejection of the Christian God, and the acceptance that if you're not Christian, you must be Satanist. There isn't any actual Satan worship, just the use of the icon, Satan, as a symbol. At it's base, it's atheism, with the use of Satan as a symbol. I don't go around telling people that because I don't expect them to understand. This will probably be the only time I mention this. Like politics, this LJ isn't for religious debate.
2. I sometimes wonder if I have ADD. I am very easily distracted. It makes for some very interesting multitasking at work.
3. I fall asleep very easy. I've read that it takes the average person 7 minutes to fall asleep. I promise you, I do it in under 3 minutes almost every night.
4. I've been in a few metal bands. I play guitar. Played a few shows at a few bars. The name of the bands were Right of the Flame and Yesterday's Wake.
5. More than playing shows, I loved being at the practice space, with all my gear right there at my finger tips and being able to turn it up as loud as I wanted without worrying about bothering anyone.
6. My wife's dad died several years before I met her. They've told me so much about him, I almost feel like I knew the guy. We would have been great friends.
7. My last name is Knowles. Yes, like Beyonce. Although it's not that uncommon, people always had problems pronouncing it when I was growing up. The most common mispronunciation was "Cannolies?" No, I am not delicious pastries.
8. After researching from father, to father, to father, I found out that my family is English. Edmund "Old Silver Hair" Knowles came from Manchester, England to Delaware in the early 1700s.
9. I really like history. I love reading about the history of old buildings.
10. I'm not very well traveled. I've never been to any of the major cities. Never been to NYC, Miami, Seattle, New Orleans, DC, Philly, Pittsburgh, LA. I've been through Atlanta via I-75. I go to Tampa a couple of times a year. I went to Columbus, Ohio and New Jersey once. Other than that, I've barely left the South East. Never been outside of the country. I was born in Ft. Knox, though.
11. My Dad, Robert Knowles Sr, is a retired military vet. Army, Marines, and Army National Guard. During his second tour of Iraq, a mortar had landed two feet away from him, but it did not explode on impact. If it had exploded, he would have been killed instantly.
12. Although it's my legal name, I don't like being called Robert. My dad is Robert. I'm Rob.
13. My main toon on World of Warcraft is a (Horde) Pandarian Fire Mage. I'm considering race changing to a goblin. Before you start, I think that the whole Horde/Alliance argument is silly. I'm a raider, so you can keep the PVP. "Burn" was leveled as Human before my guild transferred to a Horde server. Other than the Fire mage spec, specifically, I'm not very good at WoW.
14. The other game that I play is Battlefield 3, on XBox 360.I love going around hunting for snipers, sneaking up behind them, killing them by laying some C4 on them and detonating. This is also called "trolling". I love the Support class, but I've recently found out that I like the heals/Assault class, too.
15. I've mentioned that I do written complaints at work. Federal IRS rules govern what changes you can make to your health insurance, when you can make those changes, and how long you have to make those changes. My job is to work written requests, "appeals", and respond to them based on IRS rules. 9 out of 10 appeals are denied. Easily 98% of appeals that are approved were because someone made a mistake or overlooked something. Maybe 2% that are approved were because someone in far upper management made an exception.
16. I met one of my greatest influences, Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott a few months before he died. If I would have known that he'd be dead in a few months, I probably would have hugged him just a few seconds longer. That was a fucking crazy show. They really were pouring beer on the crowd.
17. As a fat guy, I'm kind of a "foodie". I'm really very diverse culinary wise. By the way, Tallahassee has some great authentic Mexican.
18. My favorite snack is currently Redbull and Sour Patch Kids. I mix it up and get Gatorade sometimes instead of Redbull.
19. My LJ name is actually short for IrreverantConvention. I stopped at "con" because I thought about the book "The Da Vinci Code" where they're talking about "So dark, the con of man", talking about the idea that Jesus Christ was not pure. (Again, see #1 on here)
20. I live in Tallahassee, but I've been wanting to move to Tampa for a few years now. May still make the move but I'm not sure if circumstance will allow it.